Refresh, Refurbish, Renew, ReDesign or ReDecorate - Welcome to the Talk I Walk!



Always remember the five "R's": Refresh, Refurbish, Renew, ReDesign or ReDecorate.

They range from using only what you already have, to changing or replacing flooring, lights, paint, counters, back splash or refinishing stairs. Refurbishing and Reusing by recovering furniture, and then mixing current pieces with new finds can all add up to a brand new space!

I enjoy the process and the challenges of solving the problems but the real reward for me is creating a space the client loves to come home to.

Bev
www.roomforchangedecor.com

780 469-2718

Saturday, October 27, 2012

TREASURE HUNTING IN CHARLESTON

All of you who love the excitement and joy that comes with finding buried treasure follow me!

I was focused on all aspects of the Charleston history. From the local foods, to historical homes, gardens but, I could not pass up a day to go treasure hunting.

I do this at home but it is even more fun when you have a whole new resource of history and discovery in a town or country far away!

My day out in Charleston with a local guide was full of surprises. What added to my joy is she stopped at a local framing shop and asked me to help her choose a mat and frame for a piece of art. Yes, I can do that!!

Then we visited a range of venues that spanned all price points and with Laura guiding us was able to hear her stories that made a piece or find that more interesting.

One such find was a book, Mellowed by Time, by Elizabeth O'Neill Verner, a distinguished American who has been noted for her etchings. Permanent collections of her work may be found in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and many other well known American Institutions. I now have it sitting amongst my treasures as a reminder that our guide, Laura, a lifelong Charlestonian borrowed quotes of this author in her passionate displays of poetic history over lunch!

Another exciting moment was when we both reached for the same lamp but to discover that there were more in the "back room"!! We laughed at such "luck" and serendipity. Needless to say I now have a new addition to my living room. Getting it on the plane - awkward - seeing it in my home - joy! Say  no more!

I loved our day treasure hunting and if you are lost for adventure.....put on some comfortable clothes, take a tote bag, and visit your local thrift shops to see what treasures you can find. It can be less than the price of a trip to the theatre.

Tap into your design or creative side and see what you can come up with.


This was inscribed inside the cover

Not Sterling Silver but a rich design never the less - I did not hesitate.

Sweet and I loved the detail!

Have you guessed what this is yet? It is a lamp Finial!

Yes this is me (on the left) and our guide Laura (in red). Crazy fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment